Indian Railways, is a departmental undertaking of Government of India, which owns and operates most of India’s rail transport. It is overseen by the Ministry of Railways of the Government of India.
The Railway Budget deals with planned infrastructure expenditure on the railways as well as with the operating revenue and expenditure for the upcoming fiscal years, the public elements of which are usually the induction and improvement of existing trains and routes, planned investment in new and existing infrastructure elements, and the tariff for freight and passenger travel.
Rail travel is set to become costlier in the new fiscal (2012 -13). Price Hike in Rail Tickets are as under:
- 2 paise per km for suburban and ordinary second class
- 3 paise per km for mail express second class
- 5 paise per km for sleeper class
- 10 paise per km for AC Chair Car, AC 3 tier & First Class
- 15 paise per km for AC 2 Tier
- 30 paise per km for AC I
- Platform Ticket Increase from Rs 3 to Rs 5